Suffering from bleeding piles. Precautions, recommendations on diet & physical activities?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question

I am suffering from bleeding piles. What care I need to take & any recommendations on diet & physical activities?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 26 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query
Piles are nothing but prominent dilated rectal and perianal veins. These usually occur secondary to straining or loss of perianal fat pad.
This can be a primary disorder where it is secondary to straining or secondary to another disorder like a rectal growth. Considering your age, you are likely to have a primary disorder. Hypothyroidism and faulty toilet habits are more common cause of piles at your age.
Whenever there are hard stools or excessive straining these vessels rupture and bleed. Hence avoid having hard stools by taking a high fiber diet and avoiding straining. If deemed necessary get yourself tested for hypothyroidism and develop a good toilet hygeine.
Hope this answers your queries
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suffering from bleeding piles. Precautions, recommendations on diet & physical activities? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply. I will get tested for hypothyroidism. Also Let me know any other symptoms related to hypothyroidism. Also, staying away from home for almost 7 years, I have been eating out a lot and I dont like to eat vegetables. Do you think this might also be the reason?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the follow up
In many of your cases there may not be a full blown hypothyroidism and only subtle symptoms. Other common symptoms of hypothyroidism are constipation, fatigue, loss of appetite, disturbed sleep and weight gain.
Low vegetable intake leads to a low fiber intake and can cause constipation and may lead to piles development. Hence improve the vegetable and fiber intake.
Dr XXXXXXX