Suffering from black tongue disease. Suggest antibiotic to get rid of it?

ENT Specialist
I'm suffering from a mild case of black tongue disease and recently went to my family doctor. I was informed there was nothing he could do and I have been trying other remedies like reducing coffee and tea, brushing frequently, not using menthol mouthwash, etc... Are there any anti-biotics or topical creams like retin-a that you would recommend or anything else. Thank you
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 33 minutes later

I went through your symptoms with diligence.

I personally recommend the following measures to my patients presenting with similar symptoms:
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption
- Restrict drinking very hot coffee/tea
- Do not use antibiotic unnecessarily
- If you are on any iron syrup/tablet stop them for a few days.
- Bismuth medication are also known to cause tongue discoloration. If you are on bismuth antacid, stop them.

If symptoms do not subside in a month then go for culture and sensitivity of the scraping of tongue. This test will reveal to us the exact cause and its treatment. You can ask about this test with your doctor.

If you have any doubt ,I will be available for for your hurry.
Wish you good health