Suffering from bipolar disorder. On depokate and sizodon. CT says Diffuse Cerebral Atrophy. Report normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 33 yr old male suffering from bipolar disorder for the last 9yrs. My medications for the same are Depokate and Sizodon. Recently I had a fall following which I had a CT Scan done. The report says Diffuse Cerebral Atrophy. I also have a MRI done 10 months ago which says Mild Cerebral Atrophy.
Is the report normal or abnormal? If abnormal is the condition fatal?
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Diffuse cerebral atrophy at this age of 33 yr is not normal. Usually as we start aging (>50yr) our cerebrum (brain) goes for atrophy. Mostly it is associated with memory disturbances, mood disorders, seizure disorders etc. In your case, it is the bipolar disorder which can be associated with this early onset cerebral atrophy.

You need not worry as cerebral atrophy is not fatal unless it is progressive. Just repeat the MRI of your brain after 2 months and see whether the atrophy has progressed. Consult your treating doctor or a neuro-physician and follow his advice accordingly. Treatment is basically symptomatic to improve your quality of life.

Get well soon,
Follow-up: Suffering from bipolar disorder. On depokate and sizodon. CT says Diffuse Cerebral Atrophy. Report normal? 22 hours later
In the 10 months the Report has changed from Mild Cerebral Atrophy to Diffuse Cerebral Atrophy. Do you see this as progressive?
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 54 minutes later

10 months old was an MRI - Mild cerebral atrophy. Now it is the CT - Diffuse cerebral atrophy.

Mild indicates the severity & Diffuse indicates the area involved. Both are different indicators. Progression means: Mild to Moderate or Focal to Diffuse.

So, I would suggest you to go for an MRI after 2 more months and consult your doctor and follow his advice.

Hope I have clarified your queries.