Suffering from bad breath. Should I consult a gastrenterologist?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have been suffering from Bad Breath for the last few years. Despite brushing twice , flossing , regular tongue scrapping and using mouthwash , the problem continues. I was suggested by someone that a Gastrenterologist could probably solve my problem. Pls advise.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

Bad breath can occur due to various causes like poor oral hygiene, dry mouth as in dehydration, lung diseases ,sinusitis, acid reflux diseases, kidney and liver issues. Sometimes it could be due to the food you eat. Garlic and onion can cause bad breath.

Discuss with your doctor about these possibilities for further work up.

In addition to the good oral hygiene you maintain, drink lot of water to keep yourself well hydrated. Get tested for the above mentioned conditions.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Suffering from bad breath. Should I consult a gastrenterologist? 4 hours later
I do every possible thing mentioned in your email to keep my mouth fresh.
However , the problem still persists. Infact just 30 mins after brushing , my mouth gets dry and foul smell emanates.

Do you advise me to visit a Gastroenterologist

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I would advise you to visit ENT doctor first to rule out sinusitis and post nasal drip as a cause of bad breath and if he rules out any sinus issues, you can visit a Gastroenterologist later to rule out GI causes of bad breath.

Dry mouth could be to mouth breathing ( which is done when there is nasal stuffiness), inadequate fluid intake , fluid loss as in loose stools, intake of certain medications which dry the mouth or it could be due to medical conditions like diabetes. So drink plenty of water and also check your blood sugar level if your mouth gets dry very often.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini