Suffering from bad breath. Had measles. Also affected sense of smell and hearing. Remedy?

Hi! I have been suffering from bad breath 24/7 for sometime and it's affecting everything I do. It started about 3 months after I had measles back when I was 14 and I'm never the same since. It's also affected my sense of hearing and smell but none of which is as concerning as my bad breath. I have seen Dentist's, ENT's, GP's and used all sorts of products but they all weren't able to help me with it. I've done a lot of googleing and realised that I could have one or more of the following - Heart, lung, kidney, liver problem or that it could be coming from my sinuses or that the 'environment/mouth' changed so much after getting sick or after taking anti-biotics that no matter how much I clean my mouth, it's just not conducive to 'healing'. I need help about this but I realised that not many doctors can solve this. Will you please help me. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 3 days later
Thank you for the query.

I will try my best to give you the best answer.

First thing, you need to notice is the symptom is in long run that suggests a chronic disease. If it is related to dental or oral issues you would have treated till now. However, in my opinion you need to have a barium swallow to know about gastro esophageal reflux disease which is also a known cause of bad breath. In addition, the most common cause of reflux disease is helicobacter pylori. To treat that, you need to take a triple therapy consisting of proton pump inhibitor, clarithromycin and amoxicillin. After the treatment, you may resolve your problem.

To know the exact cause you need to have a complete checkup like random blood sugar, check x-ray, abdominal scan to rule out other causes.

Avoid alcohol, smoking if you have those habits. Keep your mouth moist by keeping sip of water. Use mouthwash frequently.

Consult your gastroenterologist first to rule our GERD.

Hope I have satisfied you with my answer. If you have any other doubts you can contact me again.

Follow-up: Suffering from bad breath. Had measles. Also affected sense of smell and hearing. Remedy? 5 hours later
Thank you for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 2 minutes later
hello once again

Its our pleasure to help you.