Suffering from back pain when walking far distance. Looking for solution

I have been suffering from back pain since 7 years appr. I usually feel backpain when I walk far distances, stand more time, went for shopping in a shopping mall and sit continuously for more time. I am feeling severe backpain from the past 2 weeks.

I do not like milk and milk related products. So, I do not take any milk products from my childhood days. Recently started drinking milk with boost and Kellogues.

Could you please provide me solution?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later
Thanks for posting query.
There are so many causes of pain low back pain Muscle strain; ligament sprain and Lumber spondylitis, sciatica like pain, osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis also causes low back pain.
Some basic suggestions to be followed-
1. Medication to relieve the pain. Muscle relaxants if prescribed by the doctor.
2. There is no clinically approved evidence for the use of heat pad or ice pack in the treatment of acute back pain. However either can be tried for 15 to 20 minutes every 3 to 4 hours if found useful by the individual.
3. Being in a comfortable position is important. Maintain good posture.
4. At work sit in chairs with straight back with knees positioned a little higher than the hips.
5. Lift an object by bending at the knees. Keep the back straight and avoid bending or twisting the back while lifting the object. To move heavy objects it is preferable to push them rather than pull.
6. On long drives stop do not sit through the journey continuously. Stop after every few hours and stretch and walk.
7. Preferable to use flat or low heeled footwear
8. For sleeping use a firm mattress. Lying on your back on the floor with pillows under your knees with hips and knees bent. In addition the feet may be kept on a chair
9. A sedentary or inactive lifestyle contributes to back pain in the long term. Be physically active and have regular exercise regimen. Engage in walking or sports like badminton or swimming
10. Do specific back muscle strengthening exercise.
11. However it is essential to walk around for a few minutes every hour or two. This provides much needed exercise and tones up the muscles.
Consult with your orthopedics to determine the cause and management properly.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review for me.
Wish your early recovery.
Dr Sourav Ganguly