Suffering from back pain, panic attacks, insomnia and sleep apnea. Suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi! I am 36, female (5"2, 106 lbs). I have been undre a lot of stress lately (past 6-7 months). I had anxiety/panic attacks, still have insomnia, and, recently discovered, sleep apnea (moderately severe in supine position). Now, I still under stress (almost divorced) and can't sleep from jolts of stress during night. During the day, I am very tired and feel lethargic and lazy. My shoulders and neck hurt and I feel like lying down all the time. I have a strange pain on my lower back, where the kidney are. Blood pressure (3:30 pm was 102/85, standing up 112/98) . Do you have any idea what it might be? Thank you a lot!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

The stress and anxiety in your life is causing the insomnia and lack of adequate rest to your body has given rise to the symptoms like back pain, feeling tired and lethargy.

First of all you need to relax yourself. You can continue taking tablet Xanax regularly daily half an hour before the bed time which you are already taking occasionally after consulting with your physician.

Ambien only helps in falling asleep and does not help much in reducing the stress and anxiety.

You can also go for an X-ray spine and ultrasound scan of abdomen under your physician's guidance to rule out any organic causes of your symptoms like renal calculus or spine related problems.

You can ask your physician for stronger sedatives after proper evaluation if Xanax does not help.

Do regular exercises,meditation and surround yourself around family and friends during this stressful period.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.