Suffering from back pain and leg pain. How to get relief?

Since years i am facing problem with Back pain and legs paining
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
It seems like you are suffering from sciatica, a disorder where the nerves in the back get compressed leading to pain. In order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Where is the pain located in the back? (Upper/Middle or Lower back)
b. Does the pain travel from the back to the legs?
c. Do you have any other symptoms like tingling in the legs or any weakness?
d. Have you seen a physician in the past or have any investigations been done for you?
e. Do you have any other illness that you think is significant?

Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Suffering from back pain and leg pain. How to get relief? 1 hour later
a) Some times Back pain will be Middle some times it will be at Lower back.
b) I feel uncomfort while sleeping because some weakness to legs where in i need pull my legs straight and tight to get some relief other wise it is not pain but uncomfort, May be its nerve weakness
c)Wakness in legs
e)No Except this back pain and legs weakness.

Thanks for your early response....Do let me know what precautionary steps i need to take to come out of this back pain and weakness in legs.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
As of now, I think we are probably looking at a slipped disk which is leading to compression of the nerves. I would suggest that you urgently see an orthopedic surgeon and get a MRI of the spine done. This can lead to much severe problems later on.
Till then, please take the following precautions:
a. Do not bend forwards. Do not lift anything heavy.
b. When you lie down, lie straight on your back with a pillow under your knees. If you're lying down on your side, put the pillow between your knees
At this stage, you would need to see an orthopedician. Please do not ignore this problem. Its not something we'll deal with at home
Hope this helps