Suffering from back pain. What precaution should I take?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
There is back pain just below the neck is being started at 33 age. What to do now.
I am driving my car at-least 4-5 hr/day. What precaution should I take.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

Seems you are suffering from Cervical Spondylosis because of your long driving. If the pain is severe and hindering your day-to-day activities, it is better you get your neck examined by your doctor. He might order for an Xray neck or if needed an MRI of your neck. Discuss with your doctor.

Avoiding pillows while at rest, avoiding forward bending of your neck, avoiding long drives might reduce the pain in neck. Avoiding driving on rough roads will reduce the amount of jerks / force transferred to your neck. A proper seating angle while at work is always a best practice.

Regular exercises to strengthen your neck muscles will improve their tone and thereby decreases the progression of spondylosis.

Feel free to ask any doubts.
Follow-up: Suffering from back pain. What precaution should I take? 22 hours later
I can't avoid driving because to reach to my office takes minimum 2 hr. And its a little bit pain. What exercise you would like to suggest.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later
There are two types of exercises
1. Stretching and exercises to increase flexibility
2. Exercises to strengthen neck muscles

Since its difficult to explain exercises verbally, i have attached a link. You can check the link and do exercises carefully. If the exercises increases your pain or causes giddiness or any other symptoms, please consult your doctor immediately.

Wish you a good health,