Suffering from back pain. Suggest safe and effective medicine

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
back painI've been bothered by back pains most of my life. I've had injections physical therapy and still continues to hurt. the pain level is a constant 7 and get as high as 8. my husband has advance liver disease and I don't have time to see a doctor on my own. it's there a prescription pain medicine I can be prescribed to help ease the pain while I take care of him.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available describes symptoms, there could be possibility of muscular ache/ neuropathic pain/ spinal pathology induced pain.
Has he undergone CT/ MRI scan of affected spine previously?

As such no specific investigations is available for diagnosing musclar pain and neuropathic pain.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for thorough neurological check up.
He should also go for x XXXXXXX and CT/ MRI scan pf affected spine (if not gone previously), 1, 25 dihydroxy Vit D3 level (deficiency is common), and Nerve conduction velocity studies, serum CPK (creatine phosphokinase) level.

As such no medication in safe , if he is suffering from advanced liver disease.
All available medications are prone for causing liver or kidney toxicity.
He can take paracetamol tablet safely with minimal side effects.
He can also take pregabalin for neuropathic pain but this is associated with drowsiness and should not be given if any degree of sedation will develop.

Let me know the reports of above prescribed investigations.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from back pain. Suggest safe and effective medicine 2 days later
it is my husband suffering with advanced liver disease.it is my back pain that's been bothering me I don't have time to see a doctor I was hoping you could help. the pain is currently going down my left leg to about knee with tinglingin my left foot.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 hours later
You are most likely suffering from prolapsed vertebral disc along with radiating radicular pain in lower.
Presence of backache along with left lower limb with numbness suggests the diagnosis.
You should consult XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for thorough neurological check up.
You should go for x XXXXXXX and CT/ MRI scan of affected spine area.
You should take analgesics along with medicines for neuropathic pain such as pregabalin, oxcarbazepine, dosulepin, duolexitine on written prescription.
As your husband is suffering from liver disease, there is no harm in taking these mentioned medicines by you.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from back pain. Suggest safe and effective medicine 12 hours later
can you write a. prescription for me so I don't have to go through that

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 hours later
I can only suggest you medicines, you have to take it on written prescription from your treating doctor.
My opinion is on symptoms based and you should go for thorough neurological examination then only diagnosis can be called complete.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava