Suffering from autoimmune thyroiditis. Test showed low TSH level. Will this cause problem in conception?

Question
Im 29 years.height 5'7''.Weight.63kg.17days back my blood tests showed TSH>100.After 1 day i got the blood test done from another place it showed>150.I was put on Thyronorm 100mcg.10days after this another doctor advised me to getTSH, free T3,T4,S T3,T4,AMA,ATA done.Everything came normal except TSH which had reduced to95.5 and ATA which was 3times normal(157.1).Am i suffering from Autoimmune Thyroiditis.Will i have Problems in conception.will it affect the baby.Am i supposed to take the medicine for whole of my life. what should i avoid in diet that might be aggravating my condition.what is the best form of treatment?I read about Dessicated hormone is it required in my case?Is there any other better treatment you would like to recommend which can lowr my TSH levels and ATA levels in a permanent way?
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 19 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. You are having primary hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis most common form of autoimmune thyroiditis. Ot is the commonest cause of hypothyroidism worldwide. You will have to take lifelong treatment. If treatment is taken regularly and T3, T4 &TSH are maintained in the normal range for pregnancy it wouldnt affect conception nor will it have any effect on baby. Nothing specific in diet except for avoidance of bulk quantities of cauliflower, cabbage, soyabean and radish. Give a gap of 1 hr after thyroxine before eating anything. Taking levoghyroxine(T4) is the most natural and accepted form of treatment worldwide. You wont require dessicated thy hormone. TSH takes 4- 8 weeks to come to normal, dose shouldnt have been changed in 10 days. With proper treatment TSh will come to normal. ATA may remain elevated it doesnot have any significance and need not be brought down. Hypothyroidism is a simple and straight forward problem to treat so nothing much to worry.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad