Suffering from anxiety problem with fluttering in the chest and panic disorder. Proper treatment?

Psychiatrist
Question
i have anxiety problems one of the symptoms is a light zap of the head and eyes followed by a feeling of fluttering in the chest is this the cause of 2 yrs of panic disorder order or aside effect of acid blockers and diazepam? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical opinion in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:

• 54 year old male
• Known case of panic disorder, anxiety and hiatus hernia.
• Already on diazepam and acid blockers.
• Complaints of: Light zap of the head and eyes followed by a feeling of fluttering in the chest.

Panic disorder is a subtype of anxiety disorder.

Common symptoms of anxiety: nervousness, confusion/poor concentration, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Light zap of the head and eyes followed by a feeling of fluttering in the chest (occur due to muscle spasm and tremor) are the symptoms of anxiety. These are not due to because of diazepam and acid blockers.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety problem with fluttering in the chest and panic disorder. Proper treatment? 16 hours later

hi i thank you for your answer, how do i relieve bloating chest pains and constant trapped wind the discomfort is making me anxious i have had all the tests so they are clear, why am i so consumed by the fear of discomfort?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

This pain can occur because of anxiety, specially when other tests are normal. So, it is better to take psychiatrist opinion for adequate control of anxiety.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety problem with fluttering in the chest and panic disorder. Proper treatment? 37 minutes later
hi thank you, its very hard when the symptoms overtake you i used to play football run cycle and swim now i fear just going for a walk, are acid blockers really the answer to hiates ( sliding ) hernia been on them for 20 years.
regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Hope, after adequate management of anxiety, you will be able to resume your life like previous self.

In presence of hiatus hernia, there is increase acidity, which lead to on and off burning-necrosis-scaring of food pipe (esophagus). This process further pull stomach upward and exacerbate hiatus hernia.

Acid blockers take care of acidity, so they stop this process. They are safe too for long term use.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.