Suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, acid reflux and IBS. What cure and treatment should be done?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have acid reflux/ IBS.. and I suffer with severe anxiety/panic disorder. I have flare ups with the acid reflux and IBS often, but my anxiety is everyday! I have the rumbling going off and on too in my stomach. I take prilosec 2x a day. The Acid reflux doesn't keep me up at night... but this past month, my stress went off the charts. So my I GOT constipated, I got pain in my esphagus area, and across my left side under my breast. its usually after I eat. I went to the ER,, they did bloodwork, xrays of my stomach all the way down , colon etc. I recently had a stress test, echo, ekg's, which showed a very small blockage, which I am taking cholestrol med, and baby aspirin. THe Dr. even said with my breasts it was hard to get a clear pic so it may not be one?? Had a chest xray 3 months ago, KUB last month. I am afraid to eat.. its not pain that brings one to their knees, just there and annoying.. and only off and on.. and I did have a upper and lower scope 3 1/2 yrs ago which was great,,,would the xrays show something if there were a growth?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I would be answering your question.

Plain xrays would not always show if there is a growth.
A barium xray or scans would show it.

You are having symptoms of An upper GI scopy would be normal only. You may have to undergo pH monitoring test.
The anxiety you have is probably worsening your symptoms.
In addition to prilosec you also need treatment for anxiety.
Weight reduction if obese, avoiding alcohol, coffee, citrus, tomatos, chocolates would be beneficial. Eat small frequent meals and go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, acid reflux and IBS. What cure and treatment should be done? 9 hours later
The dr. at the ER said everything looked good.. I have terrible insurance. That visit alone is going to cost me alot. He said because I couldn't move my bowels they wanted to check for blockages.. and after the tests xrays, he said there were none. But that I had stool there so gave me something to drink. I had the colonscopy/endo 3 1/2 yrs ago, and a abdominal ct scan done 9 months ago, I just am confused. I will watch watch I eat, lose the weight.. I am being treated for anxiety and seeing a Specialist for therapy.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 21 hours later
Since upper GI endoscopy, colonoscopy and abdominal CT scan all were normal, it is less likely that you have any growth or obstruction.

If there are no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini