Suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, MVP and rapid heartbeat. What treatment should be done?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hello..my name is XXXXXXX I have had anxiety/panic disorder for 20 years. I can control it pretty well and am not afraid of it anymore and I have come to accept it. My problem is this...I have been waking up at night (about 1 1/2 hours into sleep) with rapid heartbeat. It is very frightening. I am 43 years old, I weigh 118 pounds and am 5'4" tall. Last checkup ( January) my bp was 118/72, cholesetrol 140, thyroid good, blood work came back normal. The only medical condition I have is MVP (diagnosed at 20). I appreciate your time. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 11 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

The phenomena that you are describing can be night mare/night terror, panic attack or can be because of MVP, too.

What medications are you on now ?

Can you tell me what type of anxiety disorder diagnosis your doctor had given you ?

What all various treatments did you undergo all these 20 years

Do you have snoring at night and what is latest your Body mass index ?

I look forward to your reply for answering your concern further

Thank you for coming to health care magic

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, MVP and rapid heartbeat. What treatment should be done? 6 minutes later
Hello Dr. Padhy,
I am not on any medications and I was diagnosed with GAD. I have tried medications to no avail. I do not snore at night unless my sinuses are acting up. I do not know my body mass index.
Thank you, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 17 minutes later
If the diagnosis is GAD, then, yes I would agree with you partly, in many, medications alone dont help satisfactorily.

Alternatively, or in combination with medication, Relaxation therapies and Cognitive behavior therapy help.

Your sleep problem, I feel most likely related to this GAD.

As you dont have snoring, knowing BMI may not have relevance. It is O.K.

I think no need to panic, try some relaxation therapy and go to your bed without any preoccupation of "sleep phenomena"

Hope this answer is useful and wish you a sound sleep

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety, panic disorder, MVP and rapid heartbeat. What treatment should be done? 3 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Padhy.

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Thanks, XXXXXX, enjoy your life