Suffering from anxiety, hypochondria and constant burping. Chances of oesophageal or stomach cancer?

Hello. Im a 30 y o female. Suffering from anxiety and hypochondria. Lately, after losing a close person (74 y o father in law) i had my panic attacks back... For the past couple of weeks i have been suffering from constant burping (every couple of minutes) and after meals its worse. it feels like i have air trapped in my upper chest and its pressing, the only way to relieve it is by burping. I tried eating slow and with my mouth closed, and small meals. But it doesnt seem to help. Im constantly stressed and feel anxiety, because i fear of Esophageal or stomach cancer. ... please help me
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 2 hours later
I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is common to feel anxiety about a cancer that family members have recently passed away.
It seems that your symptoms are all related to the anxiety of having something bad in the esophagus or stomach. The constant burping usually happens when you swallow air without realizing it ("aerophagia"). Treatment of this condition include lifestyle modification (avoid chewing gum, drinking carbonated sodas, eat slowly and with your mouth closed.
If you feel nauseous you can take over the counter anti-histaminics which are weak anti-nauseous medications.
Keep in mind that esophageal and gastric cancer are very uncommon at such a young age as yours, and is usually associated with long history of smoking, alcohol, reflux, obesity. Gastric cancer is associated with a bacteria called Helicobacter Pylori, which you can be easily tested for and if positive then treated with antibiotics.
Hope that answers your questions, let me know if you have any other concerns.
Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety, hypochondria and constant burping. Chances of oesophageal or stomach cancer? 9 minutes later
Thank you so much.... you really made me more calm.
you are a wonderful doctor

i wanted to ask another thing....
If Helicobacter tests comes negetive and i still have the burping issues, should i do gastroscopie test?
Is it a XXXXXXX test?

thank you
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 9 minutes later
If you keep on having the burping issues it can be reasonable to discuss it with a gastroenterologist and get the gastroscopy done. It is a very safe test, and can be done with anesthesia so you don't feel or remember anything. The endoscopy itself test takes 5 minutes, and risks of the procedure are minimal, particularly if you are young and healthy and don't suffer from any heart, lung or bleeding problems.
Hopefully you won't need it!
take care.