Suffering from anxiety, hypochondria and GERD. Could it be related to cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello. Im a 30 y o female. Suffering from anxiety and hypochondria. Lately, after losing a close person (74 y o father in law) i had my panic attacks back... For the past couple of weeks i have been suffering from constant burping (every couple of minutes) and after meals its worse. I also have uncomfortable chest preasure that is relieved only by burping. I tried eating slow and with my mouth closed, and small meals. But it doesnt seem to help. Im constantly stressed and feel anxiety, because i fear i might have cancer. I was told that this might be GERD. But i keep worrying all the time that it might be cancer... it will be a long time until they give me a gastro test, i vant handle the stress.... please help me
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later

Thanks for writing in
Yes your information does point to GERD

Here are a few tips :

1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol if used to
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Add a proton pump inhibitor with prokinteic to your medicine list
Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get well soon

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety, hypochondria and GERD. Could it be related to cancer? 3 hours later
thank you for your reply

you are a Gastroenterologist?

i want to know what kinds of tests i should do because i have hypochondria , im obssesed with the thought that i might have esophagus cancer, or any kind of other cancer. i am in a constant state of anxiety and my symptoms seem to get worse. i know i'm young, but i still have these horrible thoughts. i am going to see a Gastroenterologist soon, but until then, can you please calm me down? thank you
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Yes I am a Gastroentrologist but a Surgical Specialist

My first word is a word of reassurance

Yer if you want to go for any tests, go for
1] Barium Swallow
2] Upper GI Scopy
3] Colonoscopy
4] Stool For Occult Blood
5] A complete blood count

In my setup I would just reassure you and examine clinically
Hope this clears your doubts
Get Well Soon