Suffering from anxiety and unable to sleep. Suggest the treatment?

Dec 2012

I am a 61 year old business woman and for the past year I have noted that I suffer from significant anxiety. I have had sleeping problems all my life and my doctor piu me on Nortriptoline, 3 at night however it has not really helped my sleep and there has been no improvement in my anxiety. I have had some challenges in the last year with the business and my father is in the last stages of MND with a mother who also requires a lot of support
i wonder if the anxiety can be treated. I have always tended to get a bit anxious over things but could work my way through them however it is so bad at the moment that I spent most of the night angsting rather than sleeping. I have cat napped as long as I can remember so there is a long history of broken sleep

I would appreciate your thoughts

Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

The truth is that anxiety can be treated but requires serious expert therapy to cure it completely as it is a psychological problem and most of them usually are difficult to treat. There are numerous anxiolytic medications that can help with the attacks but the best therapy is a psychotherapy with a psychiatrist being responsible for your treatment.
There are many types of anxiety disorders that include panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, phobias, and generalized anxiety disorder. You can also have normal anxiety which does not fall into any of the above types and most people do have that. Many people feel anxious, or nervous, when faced with a problem at work, before taking a test, or making an important decision. Anxiety disorders, however, are different. They can cause such distress that it interferes with a person's ability to lead a normal life. An anxiety disorder is a serious mental illness.
Getting help for anxiety -- as early as possible-- gives you the best chance for recovery. Medications used to treat anxiety disorder usually fall in one of the following classes: Antidepressants, antianxiety, antipsychotic and stimulant medications are all prescribed for anxiety disorders.
Please do take an appointment with a psychiatrist as soon as you can.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah