Suffering from anxiety and depression. Taking paxil and cymbalta. Could I ask a doctor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi my name is XXXXXXX I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for over 12 years. I took paxil for years and it helped quite a bit. My doctor suggested I try cymbalta to see if it would help me loose weight. It worked and I lost over 70 pounds and felt the best I have ever felt both mentally and physically. Last year my doctor suggested I go off the medication to see how I felt. I did and made it through 4 months without medication and then started to feel really anxious. My doctor put me back on cymbalta and within 2 weeks I started to feel muscle aches and pains. She told me to stop taking the medication. After a couple of weeks the aches and pains disappeared. She tried me on and off the medication several times and everytime I was on the medication I had aches and pains and when I went off the aches and pains disappeared. The longer I was on the medication the weaker my muscles would become. My Ck level was around 1200. She sent me to my psychiatrist and he put me on paxil and again the aches and pains came back and I had to stop taking because I was feeling so weak. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin about 7 weeks ago and it seemed like the aches and pains eased a little bit, but my anxiety and depression became unbareable. Right now I am taking a low er dose of wellbutrin 150 mg in the morning and 50 mg of zoloft in the evening and clonazepam in the morning and at night. My doctor called me today and told me my Ck level is now 857. My doctors can't seem to figure out why this is happening. I am really worried about it. I have been struggling with this for a year. I just want to feel good mentally and physically. Do you have any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 8 hours later
Brief Answer: These side effects of long term medication Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Symptoms you are suffering from are due to adverse drug reaction of paxil and cymbalta which you have taken for long years. They cause muscle cramps and tremors, and responsible for raised ck levels. Now I will advise you to continue your present medication and simultaneously start life style modification to reduce drug doses for anxiety and depression. Lifestyle Modifications will help to reduce anxiety and depression - Proper nutrition eat fresh fruits and juices - Regular physical activity [walk, exercises] - Adequate sleep - Stress reduction strategies; keep your self busy in creative activities. Avoid tobacco smoke, alcohol. -Join groups that will help you to elevate mood like laughing club, drama club Many of my patients have found good relief with SKY [sudarshan XXXXXXX yoga] so you can also start as adjuvant treatment with your medication. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.