Suffering from anxiety. What should I do for cure?

Question
I suffer from anxiety what are some things I can do to calm myself including what foods ?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

As far as food and anxiety is concerned.....

1. Avoid caffeine XXXXXXX coffee, colas, tea etc in excess.
2. Reduce on fried foods and junk foods.
3. Avoid sugar XXXXXXX sweets etc.

There will be lot of other foods prescribed to reduce anxiety (lot of such material is found on the net.) But proof regarding their usefulness is lacking.

I suggest you to follow certain life style changes.

1. Meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, etc will help.
2. Go for a walk. Recreational exercises will be of use.
3. Do not take the whole problem on yourself. After doing your part leave it to God.
4. Some times slowing down in life helps. Play with kids.
5. Do not try to be the best always.
6. You can find thousands of websites with literature on time management. It is important.
7. Listen to music, do some gardening work...
8. Get busy with some work which suits you.
9. Try to help some body.... what ever small help you can........ at least once a day.
10. Try to look at the positive things in life.
11. Do not be result oriented. Just enjoy doing your job.
12. Share your problems with some body. It helps.
13. Do not take disproportionate risks. Risk only what you can afford to loose.
14. Every problem is a transient one.
15. Pray God.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask further questions. I will be more than happy to answer them.

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety. What should I do for cure? 3 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply. I use to be very close to god then I lost it, starting to get the connection again. Just I get so scared. When I get a headache I worry.
I worry about my headaches. Started after I heard a story about a woman who was suffering from era dachas and eye issues and died the next day. And it scared me.

After that I've been so tense and started getting tension and headaches in different spots.
And also pollen count has been high here. So I have had sinus pressure, runny nose, dry itchy eyes, Plhemy cough also feels like phlegm dripping down the back of my throat.

Also I get some dull light ache headache on the left then sometimes changes to the right. But then goes away completely.

Also my left eye is sore, but I did cry a lot yesterday. And kept poking at it. Then both ,y eyes feel heavy

I went to doctor yesterday to discus birth control as I came off it today and talked about my anxiety, and that I get headaches and brought up no concern to him.

But with what I have said does any thing sound worrying too you?

I am just so done with my anxiety. And feel these headaches are moving around just cause I am stressing and am anxious.
Also have pressure on my bridge of nose. But comes and goes
Now it's completely gone ?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I can understand the problem you are facing.

Do not worry.

Sudden death that happened to woman you were describing about is rare. They do not happen so often. So do not worry about them.

The description you gave is suggestive of nasal allergy (allergic rhinitis). Antihistaminics prescribed by your doctor will be useful in such scenario. Prevention can be done with steroid nasal sprays. So consult your doctor for the same.

There is nothing to worry about the symptoms you are having. Just proper medication after consulting your doctor is what is required. There is nothing to worry about.

If your doctor is not really responding to the anxiety problems you are facing you should consult a psychiatrist for medication. Try the life style changes that I already suggested.

Do not loose faith in God. God is always great.

Hope I answered your queries.
Please continue to write. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety. What should I do for cure? 4 hours later
Than, you so much, after that message I felt more connected and let god take control and I cannot tell you how great I feel.

With the steroid nose spray is there any alternatives to that cause when I do use it, it made me feel funny.
Also eye strain, what can I do for that ? Is that hay fever allergy related? Or stress?

Thank you for all your help. God bless you

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 8 hours later

Steroid nasal sprays help in prevention of further attacks. The only other alternative is avoiding the allergen that causes those allergies. But it is very difficult to find the substance that causes allergies. Even if one is found it is difficult to avoid them most of the time.

First get your eyes examined by a opthalmologist to rule out any problem which may be causing the eye strain. One may have itching of the eye, discharge from the eye or redness of the eye in case of allergy to the eye. But one should not have eye strain because of allergy.

Hope this helps.
Continue to ask further queries.

I had my eyes checked in November.

I am on the computer a lot.

Yesterday left eye was little sore and now it's right? I it just me being anxious?

Thanks for writing to me.

Yes sitting in front of the computer could contribute to sour eyes.

Try to take rest in between while watching the computer.

Try to look away from the computer while watching the computer for long time. Do not forget to blink your eyes.

Drink plenty of water while watching computer. Not that water is going to help you. You will have to getup to pass urine. This provides a break from the computer.

Try and reduce the brightness of the screen to optimum level.

Try and go for a long walk daily. This provides a break.

Hope this helps.
Please continue to ask further queries as required.

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety. What should I do for cure? 3 hours later
Thank you for your reapponda. Just saw he eye doctor and he said all isbperfect it is probably due to hayfever.

Just so i feel reassured about my symptoms,

I have

Nasal drippage in back of throat and out of my nose
Preasur eon brisge of nose and under eyes
Dull headache across forhead above eyes

All normal due to allerges and hay fever

Thanks for your reply.

Your nasal allergy could be responsible for the post nasal drip at the back of your throat and nasal dripping.

The pain above the eyes, at the bridge of the nose etc could be because of sinusitis.

Occasional cough could be because of bronchial asthma (This I am suspecting because of various allergies you have)
Infections etc are other causes of cough.

But in view of the allergies I am thinking in terms of bronchial asthma.

Bronchodilators will be useful in a acute episode.
Steroid inhalers will prevent further episodes of asthma.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further queries. I will be happy to answer them.

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety. What should I do for cure? 19 minutes later
thank you for yoru answer, i just get scared that its like a brain tumor or something like that.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 8 minutes later

Do not worry.

Most of the symptoms given by you are suggestive of allergies and anxiety.

You are also under regular check up with doctors.

So do not worry about a particular incident and develop anxiety associated disorders.

Continue to write for any further queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety. What should I do for cure? 2 minutes later
Thank you, you re a great doctor. Tank you for reassurance.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 10 minutes later

You are welcome.

Please continue to ask further questions as and when required.

Are headaches only concerning if they are really sever and dont go away

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 5 hours later

Thanks for writing to me on health care magic.

Most of the headache we come across in our clinical practice are tension headaches. The day to day anxiety and stress are responsible for them.

Headache that develop in older age group, association with significant fever and vomiting, headache associated with personality and behavior changes, headaches associated with seizures or personality changes, headaches after a trauma to the head, worsening headaches etc. are some of the headaches we are worried about.

Hope this helps.