Suffering from anxiety. How to get rid of it?

Hi, I had a lot of anxiety in my school years, and I tried many different things to try get rid of it. I have it less these days, but I'm worried that all the messing around of my mind like with hypnosis and other methods could have been harmful. Can you allay my fears in regards to that? Also, I'm curious if what I did is considered normal: to search around for ways getting rid of anxiety. Thanks for your help
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

According to latest theories, anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received medical treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

Some time patient (>50% cases) did not improve with initial treatment, in that case one of the following steps are used:
-Detection and correction of vitamin deficiency (especially vitamin B12): so take vitamin supplement and fruits/milk in diet.
-Screening of thyroid dysfunction: Get serum T3/T4 and TSH level done
-Monitor Blood pressure
-Checking adrenalin and nor adrenal level in blood
-Checking serum cortisol level
-Checking compliance to treatment: Take medicine regularly (if on medicine): as medicine used to show effect after 4-6 weeks of continuous use.

If Hypnosis is not working in your case, then it is better to shift other treatment options.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. So, you can XXXXXXX psychiatrist to discuss these treatment options. You may also need some test, as mentioned above after examination.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety. How to get rid of it? 6 days later
Im sorry, your answer did not address my question. Please read it again, I asked if there could have been harm in any the methods of trying to alter the mind. Hope to hear from you soon.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

I understand your concern. I got your question well. Lets me made it more simple.

You already have anxiety from school years-you tried different thing to reduce it, with partial benefit- Now you are thinking for hypnosis, but same time having health worry of harming self in some way from hypnosis.

Answer: Hypnosis is not harmful. Hypnosis is useful in anxiety but many person with severe symptoms do not improved with hypnosis alone specially severe cases anxiety (>50). In that case you can follow above steps explained by me in detail.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety. How to get rid of it? 21 minutes later
Im sorry but that's not exactly what I meant. I don't want to try anything now, I'm worried about what I have used in the past. Things like hypnosis, affirmations, meditating, using binaural beats, nlp, energy psychology techniques and a few others. Im worried that perhaps these things in the past could have been harmful.
I also asked if what I did (using a variety of techniques on my own to try get rid of anxiety) is considered normal. Sorry for the trouble.
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Like hypnosis other methods (as mentioned by you) also used for reduction of anxiety. They are not harmful, but sometime they are not effective.

Person with anxiety may have exacerbation of anxiety symptoms any point of their age. Which may need attention.

Wish you good health.