Suffering from anger and frustration. Have diabetes, hypertension and prostrate problems. Age related problems?

Backgroud...85 year old male...type 2 diabetic...Medications: for blood pressure, and prostate/urinary.
After a stay in inpatient pt rehab (out now 2 months) has developed a severe and violent anger problem. He will exhibit severe behaviors such as swearing (this is a man that NEVER swore) and will hit and throw things. Hehas had a brain MRI and CT, and NOTHING is found. What could possibly be the cause of this? It is destroying the family.
Posted Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Age and illness can intensify longstanding personality traits in some unpleasant ways that an irritable person may become enraged, an impatient person demanding and impossible to please.

The aging process in and of itself sometimes brings about anger, can be frustration about getting old, having chronic pain, having memory issues.

I advice you try to identify the cause of the anger if possible. In most elderly individuals, behaviors are a symptom of distress. I know it is easy to say but best thing you can do is not take it personally. Focus on the positive, ignore the negative.

When the behavior is out-of-character for an elder, the start of Alzheimer's or dementia is a likely cause.

Regarding the abusive behavior and swearing i advice you try talking to them about how the abusive behavior makes you feel, even though it might not be much of help. If the abuse is verbal or emotional, making them realize all that you do for them, by not doing it for awhile, may prove that they better be nicer to you.

When a swearing tirade sets in, use distraction. Diverting his attention is a simple, but effective technique. Once his mind is redirected, the swearing fit may end.

Try the above mentioned conservative approach if it does not help, i advice you to consult psychiatrist and antidepressant and anti psychotic drugs may be helpful. The family needs a lot of patience. They should show empathy towards such behaviour. Even the family needs some education to help him.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer