Suffering from anemia. Test showed raised ALT and AST reading. What are the complication?

Gastroenterologist
Question
what is alt and ast reading 140 and 152 means.... is it cirrohisis and also i m aneamic from a long time . i did iron infusion too but still my wbc aount is 13 and hemoglobin is 7.5
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
Your AST and ALT levels are more than 3 times the upper limit of normal.
High ALT and AST indicates the liver is damaged. There are a number of different causes for this which include viral infections ( Hepatitis A, B, C and E), alcohol intake, Non alcoholic fatty liver disease, certain medications, autoimmune disorders, metabolic disorders etc.
It need not mean cirrhosis.
You need a complete evaluation to find out which of the above is the cause.
Consult your GI specialist for evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Suffering from anemia. Test showed raised ALT and AST reading. What are the complication? 15 hours later
Thanks doctor for ur reply but just want to know the treatment for liver damage.my hbv is negative . and wht can be reason for high ast and alt . i dont drink but i took disprin 2 days b4 the test and just want to know kayam churan is bad for liver or not.how to make my ast and alt normal.i dont drink alcohol, ya i take amitryptiline.
also i m planning for pregnancy does ast and alt can bring obligation in my preg

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
Can I have the complete report of liver function test including other enzymes, bilirubin and protein?

Follow-up: Suffering from anemia. Test showed raised ALT and AST reading. What are the complication? 6 hours later
I dont hv the report as i confirmed on phn , but i will take this on fri. 1 more thg does taking kayam churan everyday is good or not . Does it affect the liver.and also amitryptiline . I dont take amitryp everyday but only on depression and i take upto 200 mg ...also want to know abt pregnancy with such report . i m hving pcos and now i m going to infertility sp for baby . she gave me provera . so i m taking provera everyday.
Does AST and ALT become normal after few week or i need a treatment .

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 25 hours later
Kayam churna does not affect the liver.
May I know why you are taking it everyday?

Yes amitriptyline can affect the liver. It may be responsible for abnormal liver function test. You need to stop taking it and discuss with your doctor for an alternative medication.

You can repeat liver function test 4 weeks after stopping amitriptyline to see if it returns to the baseline.

Though this abnormal liver function may not affect you getting pregnant I would suggest you to get a repeat LFT done before getting pregnant.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Thanks Doctor for ur reply
Yes i am taking kayam churan everyday , i had constipation problem since i m in USA.One more thing want to know about liver abscess. Is it life threatening and can this be converted into cancer.Just 2 days b4 my brother was treated due to abscess . They did twice ,just want to hv more information on this .

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 20 hours later
For constipation, take more of high fiber diet, fiber supplements like metamucil and drink lot of water.
Liver abscess does not cause cancer.
The treatment and outcome depends on what type of abscess it is - amebic or bacterial liver abscess.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more question, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini