Suffering from anal fissures. How effective is surgery?

Hi. I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX from Kolkata, India. I am suffering from Anal fissures for last 6-7 years. During the passing of bowl and also after that it pains a lot. I tried Allopathic and Homeopathic but things have not improved. After having medicines it sometime goes and then again things relapsed. I am now considering for a surgery. Can you please guide me in terms of how effective it is? Thanks XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Surgery is definitely effective Detailed Answer: Hi If you have used up all the conservative measures like Allopathic and homeopathy medications you should directly go for interventions now without delay. It could be botulinum injections or sphincterotomy. It is important to understand the location of the fissure and the reason for non healing before deciding on the kind of intervention (surgery). Most likely there would be high pressure at the sphincter and low blood supply to the base of the fissure that reasons the slow healing or non healing. Current interventions or surgery is aimed at reducing resting anal pressure by diminishing sphincter tone and improving blood supply at the site of the fissure, thus promoting the healing rate. So it should be effective for you and I am sure you can lead better quality of life which you were missing for past 6 to 7 years. All the best.
Follow-up: Suffering from anal fissures. How effective is surgery? 17 minutes later
Thank you so much for your kind reply. One more question..can you suggest some good Surgeon in Kolkata whom I could talk to for the surgery.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Colorectal surgeon / Proctologist. Detailed Answer: Consult Colorectal surgeon in your city. You will find them in larger centres like AMRI / Apollo Gleneagles. Thank you.