Suffering from allergy on hands and feet. Done with Immunoglobulin E test showing increased value. Taking homoeopathy treatment. Advice?

Dermatologist
Question
I have been suffering from Allergy/rashes on my hands and feet(below portion). Earlier in April 2013, I was taking a treatment from a skin specialist on whose advise I had done Total IGE test which gave me a value of 282. The treatment got over in XXXXXXX 2013. However, I again suffered the same allergy and now I am undergoing homeopathy treatment. When I again took the Total IGE test, it gave me a value of 371. What should I do now?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 51 minutes later
Hello XXXX,
Welcome to healthcare magic.

IgE has a wide range in normal values. It can range from 150 to 1000. Usually 150-300 is accepted as upper limit. IgE being elevated is not a disease. This test gives a clue to a doctor that the rash can be allergic if elevated. Do not give undue importance to it. It can be elevated in Eczema, Atopy, Allergic rhinitis, Asthma, Intestinal worm infestations etc. Yours is not a very high level. Do not treat the IgE levels. Identify the allergic rash and treat that. In spite of treating rash IgE need not come down always.

If you can upload pictures of the rash , I will assess and assist you.You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Suffering from allergy on hands and feet. Done with Immunoglobulin E test showing increased value. Taking homoeopathy treatment. Advice? 5 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Chacko,

As required, attaching two images each of my left hand and foot. Mostly I am getting this allergy on my left hand and foot.

Thanks & Regards
Praful XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Welcome back XXXXXXX

Thanks for the pictures.
It looks like eczema. Eczema prone skin is a sensitive skin. You will be sensitive to a whole lot of allergens, dust, insect bites, dryness seasonal change etc. Therefore there will be episodes of exacerbations.

Right now you need a topical steroid application (eg: Elocon oint) over the rash for one to two weeks. A moisturizing cream ( eg: Elovera cream) is a must . This will help to repair the barrier function of the skin and also helps in better action of steroid. Apply this before steroid. Get these prescribed by your dermatologist.
Even after the eczema subsides the best way to prevent relapse is by keeping skin moisturized.