Suffering from acute bloating and gas, have enlarged flanks. All medical test normal. Any treatment?

General Surgeon
Question
dear Dr i have been suffering from acute bloating and gas and my flanks a little enlarged.I pass out a lot of gas. have seen a Dr and a blood work, urine and CT scan performed and all negative said flanks enlarged due to body fat. i have been masturbating for about 15years now and wonder my condition is due to over masturbation and is there any suggestions for my treatment. have tried probiotics but no results.
I hope my question will be kept private/anonymous.
Thank you
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 37 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Masturbation is quite normal behavior especially for males, and for sure it has nothing to do with intestines so don`t treat it as something wrong or destructive.
Bloating can be caused by wrong diet, lack of physical activity, IBS, severe intestines infection. Sometimes it can be also a symptom of colon cancer however not at your age. Stress can also have such impact for intestines.
I suggest you to have fecal occult blood test performed and stool tests for parasites.
You should avoid fatty foods, soft drinks, coffee. Increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. You can also ask your doctor about Rifaximine treatment. This antibiotics gives many positives reactions and can cure such non-specific symptoms. You should also increase physical activity.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from acute bloating and gas, have enlarged flanks. All medical test normal. Any treatment? 7 minutes later
Thanks Dr Grzegorz for the reply, unfortunately it's being a while i've been to the Dr office since my last visit and at the moment i don't have an insurance so going to a Dr office will be costly. Can purchase Rifaximin over the counter? If no is there anyway you can help with a prescription. Thanks a lot
counting on your prompt response

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Hello!

Unfortunately Rifaximine is on prescription and there is no way I can help you with it. However, as you are from USA, there is way you can purchase it from online pharmacies which do offer it without prescription. It is called Xifaxan. You should take 400 mg 3x1 during 7 days.

Hope this will help.

Follow-up: Suffering from acute bloating and gas, have enlarged flanks. All medical test normal. Any treatment? 1 hour later
thanks so much Dr for the answers, so the dosage is 3 times a day for 7 days sir?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 hours later
Hello!

Yes exactly, 400 mg 3 times a day for 7 days.
Regards.