Suffering from acidity. On medicine. Burping and heart burning sensation at night. Advice some best medicine

Question
my name is XXXXXX from india,am suffering from severe acidity problem,especially in the night unable to sleep,i was prescibed ocid 20mg and rantac 300 mg in the night,i used it for two weeks then nothing happend,after that i used pantosec 40 mg twice daily for 5 days,it worked but again the problem started,after that i took rabeprazole 20mg twice daily for almost two weeks,nothing happened. epecially in the night i burp a lot and also suffer from heart burning sensation.for the past 3-4 daysi am unable to sleep,seems to be the side effect of rabeprazole 20 mg..pls advise me the safest and best medicine with no side effects?????????????
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 25 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Since most antacid medications are not proving helpful, possibility of gastric ulcer needs to be ruled out in your case. Unable to sleep is more of due to acidity and not side effect of medications.

Gastric ulcers need more aggressive treatment. Evaluation with endoscopy needs to be considered.

The basic cause of gastric ulcer is exposure of unprotected gastric mucosa (usually protected by layer of mucus) to gastric acid.
The common causes for this to happen are H pylori infection, Use of pain killers, stress, food habits and excessive alcohol consumptions etc.

Usually such case are treated symptomatically with combination of Antibiotics (e.g. Clarithromycin, Amoxicillin, Tetracycline, Metronidazole) for H pylori, H2 antagonist (ranitidine, famotidine) and proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole). Other useful measures are stop use of NSAIDs (pain killers), avoid spicy food, take good sleep, avoid alcohol or carbonated drinks.

Since you have already tried basic treatment, you need to a visit to gastroenterologist. The doctor may ask you to undergo investigation like urea breath test and even gastroscopy before starting treatment.

I hope I have been helpful to you, Please ask if there are any doubts.

Follow-up: Suffering from acidity. On medicine. Burping and heart burning sensation at night. Advice some best medicine 38 minutes later
ok, i would do that,however one of my dr has prescribed me rablet d empty stomach,twice a day until he meets me as he is out of delhi and would be back in 3 days..what do you think about it and all the test like endoscopy and all u mentioned,are they painful,cause am scared of going under medicall test??i hope there should not be any thing major which is life threatening? i guess there is nothing much to worry about??have also read that these kind of problem leads to heart attack???pls advise??????

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for follow up question.

There is no harm in waiting for three more days.

These tests are not painful, so don't worry about them.They are done on out patient basis.

This issue is not life threatening, but needs good and effective care.And such issues don't lead to heart attacks.So please relax.

Hope this answers your question.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from acidity. On medicine. Burping and heart burning sensation at night. Advice some best medicine 32 minutes later
what you have to say about the medicine rablet d twice daily empty stomach????is it one of the best and safest medicine???pls advise

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later

Yes, this drug is one of the commonly advised treatment. It's fine to take it on empty stomach.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from acidity. On medicine. Burping and heart burning sensation at night. Advice some best medicine 19 minutes later
hey i forgot to ask you that during this phase i took pentosec 40 mg for 5 days twice daily,it really worked for me after that i just listened to my doc fren and started using rabaprazole 20 mg??today i checked on net about pantosec 40 mg and trust me it is meant to cure GERD.shall i continue this medicine for long?as its mentioned to use for 8 weeks on net???

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back.
Pantosec has pantoprazole and this is as effective as rabeprazole for treating GERD. But both these drugs do not cure GERD. They help as long as the drugs are taken. These are safe drugs and can be taken for as long as 8 weeks.
If Pantosec suits you better, please speak with your physician and get a prescription for the same.
Regards.