Suffering from acidity. Getting burning sensation in stomach, food pipe. How to get rid of this?

Hi Dr.

I'm suffering from acidity problem, I usually get burning sensation in stomach and food pipe...though I usuallly avoid spicy foods, and also I go for long walk of around 2km after food at night causally... I'm a Software Engineer so my work usually involves being working with computers, with less of physical actitivites.

What all can I do to get rid of this problem, can you please suggest me diet and measures for the same.

Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 hours later

From the symptoms it looks like acute gastritis and gastrointestinal reflux.
Gastritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. There are many possible causes of this disorder including an infection (bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic), an irritant, backup of bile or due to acid reflux.
Drink plenty of water to detoxify the body. Also take an antacid or a H2 blocker like Rantac or a PPI inhibitor drug like Omeprazole after consulting your doctor. These are to be taken empty stomach for a period of 15 days.

Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietician will be helpful.

Try raising the head end of your bed by at least two blocks and take your meals 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffee prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.