Suffering from abdominal pain, back pain and mild fever. Should I consult a doctor?

I am a 26 yr old female, 4'9'' 140 lbs. I was in my doctor's office yesterday for upper right abdominal pain under my ribs and toward the middle-right as well. I am running a temp of 99 degrees and the pain follows after meals but also happens other times. I am having this pain in my back on the right side also. It has been 6 days of this pain and waiting for blood results to come back but it won't be until Monday. Should I just go to the hospital? I am in a lot of pain and this fever just started yesterday.
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

Right upper quadrant pain could be due to cholecystitis ( inflammation of the gall bladder). The other possible causes are hepatitis and peptic ulcer disease. Sometimes the middle right and back pain could be due to ureteric calculus.

In your case, right upper quadrant pain with fever is most likely to be due to acute cholecystitis. Most often it is due to gall stones. A ultrasound scan of the abdomen may be done for confirmation. A liver function test may also be done.

Since the pain is persisting and is very severe and that the new symptom of fever has started now, I would advise you to visit ER for treatment.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini