Suffering from abdominal pain and noticed white mucus in stool. Should I consult a doctor?

I am under huge stress right now because of a family members!! The last week I have full pain in my lower abdomial and normal stools each morning! I take a cultreall . Today I had a lot of very white jelly like mucas with long string and one large clump. Have what feel like ibs which I have had in the past!
What is this white mucas all about and do I need to see my Gi Dr. asap!
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus. Lots of gas and indigestion is commonly associated with passage of some amount of mucus in the stools. But passing stools with visible amounts of mucus could be from one of several different diseases or conditions.

Mucus in the stool is a common symptom of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and ulcerative colitis, and is seen to a lesser degree in Crohn's disease. Bacterial infection, anal fissure, or a bowel obstruction may also cause the passage of mucus along with stool.
Since this has happened for the first time today, you can wait for 2-3 days for it to subside spontaneously.
Physical examination, stool analysis and sometimes colonoscopy are entailed here in case the symptoms persist. These basic test are necessary to diagnose the condition and for appropriate treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.