Suffering from abdominal pain. Tested negative for h. pylori bacteria. Do I have intestinal bacterial infection?

Hi I'm 42 year old female I keep fit and weigh 136lbs I'm 5'2" before I never even suffered heartburn or ibs. Whilst on holiday I suffered bad stomach pains but always had normal bowel movement. Felt awful went to doc and was given anti bio and ppi assuming a stomach infection went then for series of gastric tests . tested negative for h. Pylori bacteria. in the end was put on 40mg nexazole which helped and quality of life is great last 3 days I'm suffering abdominal pain after eating and have severe and very frequent flaky light coloured stools that sink feel awful could I have another bacteria infection in my intestine? Hope you can help thanks . XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 44 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The previous episode you had wasn't a stomach infection but an acid peptic disease that cause stomach pain due to excessive acid secretion which causes damage to stomach mucosa resulting in pain and burning sensation.

The nexazole is also a PPI which inhibits the acid secretion from the stomach cells and thus provide an acid free medium to mucosa to heal. Its not an antibiotic.

This time its most probable that you might be having an infection which may require antibiotics however before going for any antibiotic, first go for stool analysis to assess whether there is any real infection

If you still have some query, feel free to ask