Suffering from Vertigo. Pain in ear, neck and backbone. CT scan and MRI normal. What could be the cause?

Question
HI doctor, i have been suffering from Vertigo for 6 months now
there is very little pain in my left ear. and a some pain in neck and back bone
My Family doctor says its Meniere's disease. I am unable to stand for long as i get a feeling of falling down, My toes started to hurt since im putting pressure on them while standing. ON and off i have a ringing feeling in ear. My CT scan of temporal bones and MRI of cervical spine showed normal result.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Considering your symptoms of vertigo, I assume that your doctor after a thorough evaluation has made a diagnosis of Menieres disease. Since cervical spondylosis has been ruled out already, you can rule out hyponatraemia after a blood test. Benign positional vertigo is the other likely cause.
The cause of recurrent symptoms could be recurrent attacks of menieres causing the symptoms.Though there is no definite cure for this disease the most common treatment used is betahistine.

I would like to mention few facts about Menieres disease.
Meniere's disease is a disorder affecting the inner ear. It causes episodes of vertigo, nausea,fluctuating hearing loss, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), photophobia (sensitivity of eyes to light) and a feeling of fullness or pressure in the ear. The exact cause of this disease is not known but the main pathology is due to increased pressure in the inner ear fluid.
The treatment includes medicines like antihistamines, anticholinergics, sedative-hypnotics, anti-emetic agents, (anti-nausea) diazepam, (to relax) or diuretics (water pills) and other medications may relieve dizziness or vertigo.

So in your case , I would advise you to consult an ENT surgeon to first confirm the cause of vertigo i.e the exact diagnosis whether menieres or proprioceptive disorders or any neurological cause by evaluation and investigations ( mri, audiogram, etc)
The treatment will depend on the cause and its severity.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Suffering from Vertigo. Pain in ear, neck and backbone. CT scan and MRI normal. What could be the cause? 2 days later
I have been advised a low sodium intake and on aquazide tablet for over a week now but the symptoms seem to be same. if i stand and look at someone sitting on a chair , i feel as if im falling in front and i sometimes suddenly loose sensation below my knees. is this all due to meniere's ? how much time does it take to heal ?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms are likely to be due to Meniere's disease. After starting the treatment it takes around 2 weeks to start feeling symptomatically better. Do continue with the treatment and go for a regular follow up.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from Vertigo. Pain in ear, neck and backbone. CT scan and MRI normal. What could be the cause? 15 hours later
Dear Doctor ,

I have met a neuro physician today and he has diagnosed me with BPPV and asked me to do a specific exercise and said it is gonna cure the vertigo.

What is the difference between Menieres and BPPV

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
BPPV is related to a damage or a blow to the vestibular organ. The dizziness is seen only when the head is kept in certain positions. Some exercises can help cure the symptoms.
Meniere's disease is a disorder of the inner ear that causes spontaneous episodes of vertigo along with fluctuating hearing loss, ringing in the ear (tinnitus), and sometimes a feeling of fullness or pressure in your ear.
Regards.