Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from UTI. Started feeling weak after taking levofloxacin 500 mg. Should I go to the ER?

i was told that I have a bad uti. I am taken levofloxacin 500 mg once a day. This is my 4th day taken the levo. I feel so weak, I feel I am not getting any better. I have pain in left upper back and lower left abdomen. My head feels very heavy, too. My doctor told me that I have a low K+ level . I taken K+ 20eq for three days finished them. I am not sleeping at night. Should i go to the ER?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

The following needs to be done---
1. Antibiotic needs to be changed - may be by injections- and fresh urine culture sample to be sent.
2. K+ levels and other electrolytes - need to be checked and supplemented if necessary.
3. Ultrasound scan to be done to check for kidney involvement in the infection process.

It is better to go the ER soon.
Get well soon,