Suffering from UTI. Any alternate medicine for elmiron?

ENT Specialist
I have been taking 4 caps of elmiron for over 8 years. I still have IC flare ups and have been to my doctor and Urgent Care for what I was sure was a UTI (most of the time the lab results came back negative). Long story short.......elmiron is now over $800/monthly and my insurance only covers about $200/monthly. There are other members in my family who need medical care and I am the one using up our entire budget. Simply stated, I can no longer afford to take elmiron. What is the very BEST alternative for me. I also take hydrozlyzine XXXXXXX and amitriptyline XXXXXXX nightly.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The Indian equivalent 'Comfora' (Pentoan Polysulfate Sodium) is priced at about $83 for 90 capsules.

2. Since the patent for Elmron has expired in 2010, you should be able to locate a bulk or generic supplier locally.

3. There are many other options, both i terms of medication and surgery. However, these may only be discussed with your physician.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.