Suffering from TB, diabetes and ear problem. Tube removed from lung, pus starts draining. Advice?

ENT Specialist
My brother is 30 years effected with TB. recently dictor has removed pipe which was inserted from waist to lung. There is a small hole which is nit closed n puss is still coming. Now he got ear problem. He cant hear. Dictor advised to stop taking injctions. Please advise as inhection were supposed to be taken for 6 months. May would be the last month. He is a diabetes aswell
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding some complications which your brother is facing, as he is suffering from tuberculosis of chest, most probably he was having one comlication of pulmonary tuberculosis i.e.EMPYMA THORASIS, therefore a tube was put in to thorasic cavity to drain out the pus.Recentally that tube is being removed but still an opening is persisting which is oozing out pus.

He had been given antitubercular medicines as injection streptomycin, this some times give rise to sensory neural deafness as this is OTOTOXIC.

Now for hearing loss one should change the antitubercular drugs, and give him methicobalamin for recovery whatsoever is possible.

For pus oozing out from thorasic hole should be treated with broadspectrum antibiotic having coverage of anaerobes also.

Your brother should be now treated under supervision of ENT & CHEST specialist for better results.

Follow-up: Suffering from TB, diabetes and ear problem. Tube removed from lung, pus starts draining. Advice? 18 minutes later
Please advise if this is life threatening? He has been to the ENT doctor he has told to go to the doctor he gave him the medicines. He is getting treated in government hospital india hyderabad. He was told that one of his lung damaged but recently after the ex XXXXXXX his lungs expanded and doc told us that there is no infection. Please advise how many more days it will take to close the hole. He is vommitting every day from a month every since the pipe removed. He is a diabetic as well. Do ge need to discontinue taking the injections???? Please advise good doctor in india hyderabad. Please advise what diet he should take. ....
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 18 minutes later

Thanks for reconsultation.

Your brother is a diabetic fellow and is having pulmonary tuberculosis with empyma thorasis with ototoxicity in ear. Therefore he really needs treatment under supervision of ENT & CHEST specialist.As far as care at hydrabad is concern I may suggest you good ENT doctor at Hydrabad ( Dr Meghnath at vaishnavi hospital near kath ka pul Hydrabad), But I don't know any chest specialist there.