Suffering from Rabies. Treatment?

my brother is now facing Rabies disease........what to do
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 28 minutes later
From your query I understand that your brother has been diagnosed with & is suffering from Rabies. This is usually not so common as vaccination after dog bite (post exposure prophylaxis) prevents this condition.
1. If your brother does not have any symptoms then clean wound management/vaccine/ anti rabies immunoglobulin/ antibiotics/ TT injection can be administered. The causative animal should be followed and observed.
2. It is very unfortunate if the symptoms of rabies have already set in as there is no single effective treatment for rabies once clinical signs are evident.In this stage the patient requires hospitalisation and supportive and medical management.

Thus in asymptomatic patient or in very early stage there are good chances of recovery but if the symptoms become pronounced then the chances of cure are also less.

Hope , I have addressed your query.
I will be glad to share any more information on this topic if desired by you.