Suffering from PCOS on medication. Have dark lips, dark elbows and knees. Suggest?

Hi docs,
im 30 yr old female unmarried. im suffering from PCOS from last 8 years and is on continue medication. i need to ask is the darkening lips, dark elbows and knees is due to PCOS. is it possible to treat them? also i want to know r the slimming tea good for PCOS people as i m not overweight but do have body fat...
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
PCOS is quite common now a days due to sedentary habit, eating heavy & fast food.
Although in most of the cases PCOS person are overweight but in few cases it is also seen in normal BMI female.
Main symptoms of PCOS are irregular period, increased growth of hair all over body, acne, darkening of skin at fold site & sometimes change in voice also.
First line of treatment of PCOS is weight reduction by doing regular exercise & avoiding fast food & if your BMI is within normal range then maintain your weight.
As soon as weight will reduce all symptoms will subside. if still symptoms persist consult your gynecologist for low dose hormonal pills used to treat this syndrome & get investigated for random blood sugar also.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Suffering from PCOS on medication. Have dark lips, dark elbows and knees. Suggest? 52 minutes later

Thanks Dr Choudhary,

But mam, i am unable to loose my excess fat irrespective of hitting the gym daily.
please advice me what can be done for this. moreover im suffering from cystic acne very badly which is lowering my self esteem. will i b able to treat acne with medicines prescribed by dermotologist?
Thanx alot mam
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome back.
If you are doing regular exercise but still not losing weight means there is something wrong with food intake.
Instead of taking refined sugar & high fat diet you should take high fibrous diet XXXXXXX in protein & vitamins.
Consult your dietician & get a proper diet chart.
For cystic acne you must take dermatologist opinion there can be need of oral antibiotics along with local application.