Suffering from PCOD and thyroid. On thyronorm. Taking ayurvedic medicine. Confused about hormones imbalance. Help?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hello Doctor
I am 33 years old and stay in Hyderabad. I have 5 year old son and am an IT professional.
I am suffering from PCOD since my teenage and thyroid for past 3 years. I am on thyronorm 75 mcg dosage. I take this pill on empty stomach early morning. I take some ayurvedic medicine also, but that does not seem to help me. I am really confused about these hormones imbalance thing which I keep listening every time. My acne has worsened and I am losing my confidence. Please help.
Thanks & Regards
XXXXX
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check your current thyroid status.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX you have PCOD and primary hypothyroidism as told by you.

You are being treated for hypothyroidism but are you taking something for PCOD?

How regular are your periods?

Please check your current thyroid status and Please check your 17 (OH)Progesterone levels as well.

Please do write back for further discussion on the same.

Regards!

Follow-up: Suffering from PCOD and thyroid. On thyronorm. Taking ayurvedic medicine. Confused about hormones imbalance. Help? 23 hours later
Hello Doctor
Thanks for your response.
I am taking ayurvedic medicine for PCOD.
My Periods are almost regular and last for 3 days and normal bleeding. I get the periods between 30 - 35 days.

I got my Thyroid checked 2 moths ago. It was 3.
I am concentrating on weightloss so that my condition improves a it.
I may plan for pregnancy for second child after an year, at that time i will be over 34 years.
Please let me know if it is fine for person like me to plan for it. Because it is better to be a support to the children than be a burden on them in my old age, so I am off with one to keep peace.

Thanks & Regards
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can go ahead with your plans.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX it is absolutely fine to plan and have a second baby. Age of 34 years is definitely a little more for pregnancy but in the present era of working women, late marriages, it is very common to find elderly pregnancies. Even the definition of elderly primi has been revised from 30 years to 35 years. With your thyroid perfectly balanced you can definitely think of a second baby. I will definitely suggest you one thing at this point that never rely much on TSH alone to find out your thyroid balance. Always check your FT4 (free T4) along with TSH.
Besides, every child needs a sibling, so for them also it is a right decision to have two children.

Follow-up: Suffering from PCOD and thyroid. On thyronorm. Taking ayurvedic medicine. Confused about hormones imbalance. Help? 1 hour later
Thanks so much for your supportive response Doctor. :)
I always get full thryroid profile with TSH, T3 and T4. T3 and T4 are in normal range whereas TSH is the one which is sometimes in normal range.
I will get my thyroid(TSH, T3, T4) tested again after 2months.
Will keep you updated too.
I take thyroid medicine in morning, after half an hour I usually have a fruit or dry fruits as I feel very hungry at that time. Is this fine or do I need to make modification in time(morning/night) or diet while taking medicine?

Thanks & Regards
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
right approach.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX you are doing the right thing. Tablet thyroxine is always taken early morning empty stomach and 30 min gap is observed after the tablet ingestion as well before eating anything. So that is perfectly fine. Again I will remind you to check your FREE T4 (FT4)balance not T4 (that is total T4) along with TSH. Regards!

Follow-up: Suffering from PCOD and thyroid. On thyronorm. Taking ayurvedic medicine. Confused about hormones imbalance. Help? 45 minutes later
Sure Doctor, I will get the free T4 done. Will update you once I get my thyroid tested again. Till then I hope you remember me else I will refer to the conversations we have had at this time.
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 9 days later
Brief Answer:
Sure ma'm, you can post a direct query by my name

Detailed Answer:
Sure ma'm. I will remember u.

Regards!