Suffering from PCOD. Is it causing backache, calf muscle pain, white discharge? Why have I gained weight?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, I am 23 years old & suffering from PCOD. I have undergone the below mentioned treatment - had Meprate for a one year (21days course/month) and then after an year switched to Modus 10 Mg (5 days/month course ) for 6 months. I had 27-29 days cycle all this while. After this the gynec asked me to discontinue the tablets and see for 6 months how it goes. My first question - This is my first month without any tablets and I am on my 32nd since my last month. All though i have my PMS (Backache, White Discharge, Calf muscle pain, Dizziness). Is it cause my PCOD hasn't been cured/treated?
Second - After i started having modus I gained a lot of weight (Almost 8 kgs in 5 months). Before this i used to weigh around 58-60kgs my height being a decent 5ft7 Inches. Usually its said if u suffer from PCOD u tend to gain weight, but here i was normal before having modus. Also, i have joined gym now since i gained 8 kgs but its difficult to lose the extra kilos (been 2.5 months since i started gyming) Please help.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

As a women I understand irregular cycles, premenstrual symptoms and weight gain are very distressing and frustrating to cope up.

However PCOD is a chronic condition secondary to metabolic / hormonal disturbance. It needs to be addressed if you have symptoms. A strict lifestyle changes and medications are recommended here.

Your consultant has treated you with medications (Meperate / modus) to help your system and see that you get regular cycles. However long term use is not really recommended and hence she has asked you not to stop the drugs now. I think the trial of hormonal drugs has not helped in regulating the cycles.

It is wise to report back to your gynecologist if your premenstrual symptoms are severe. The doctor will be able to help you medical and non- medical methods to reduce the symptoms further.

The issue of weight gain is very common in this group of patients and life style modifications is one of the ways you can try to shed off the extra kilos. It is hard to explain the weight gain after medication. It is possibly the effects of polycystic ovaries, diet and lifestyle changes rather than 'meperate / modus' itself.

Following a proper diet with modified lifestyle is essential.

Hope I have answered your queries. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them.

Dr Nandita Thakkar