Suffering from Neurodermatitis. Have thick leathery patches. Using salicyclic acid ointment. Done with physiotherapy. Guide?

I have been suffering from Neurodermatitis for around 20 years now.
I have very thick leathery patches(3 in number) on my leg. Everytime a salicylic acid ointment is provided it subsides, but once teh ointment is stopped the patches become very thin again. Last year I also had targeted phototherapy done on those patches by a renowned doctor in Bangalore. I did reduce significantly, but then now the patches have become very thick again. Along with those patches my skin is very dry an there are small black spots all over my leg, which the doctor feels is due to very dry skin.

My query is what is the best treatment for Neurodermatitis such that it does not reoccur again or at least the black patches do not appear again, and also would it be possible to get a chemical peeling done on my leg, so that the black spots go away.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 16 hours later

I can understand your concern.

Neurodermatitis can be a difficult condition to treat.

It has a tendency to keep recurring.

The most important thing is to break the itch scratch itch cycle.

This can be done with the help of anti histamines like doxepin as they control the itching, and in this manner there is no repeated scratching . Repeatedly scratching it leads to further aggravation of the lesions. You will need a prescription for doxepin and it will be important to take it under your doctor's supervision.

This will also help in prevention of recurrences.

Application of high potent steroid creams like halobetasol will help in resolving of the lesions.

This treatment protocol will help in the treatment and prevention of recurrences.

Also application of a moisturizing lotion daily will help take care of dryness that you have.

I wouldn't advise chemical peel now as that increase the dryness and aggravate the problem.

That can be tried only after the condition has revolved and is stable.

Please let me know if I can address any other concern for you.