Suffering from Lyme disease, depression. Not cured by medicine. Looking for effective treatment

Hello ~ I am a 50 yo F sufferer of Lyme disease. Apparently I have had this for a while. I have unresolved bell's palsy. I have severe neuropathy of my extremies. I was an RN who had an IQ of 137. I cannot remember the names of my children at times ("Hey you ~ youngest one~ big arms ~ run thing that sucks up dog hair!") I was full of energy (it still shows it self on occasion ~ and we all have a work party!) I now have Lyme arthritis...nodules & such. I have shooting pains, burning pains (as if I broke a bone, but none exist). I LOVE LIFE. I am fighting depression. I have had two treatments of Ceftraxione 1gm daily IV X 30 days. Am about to start a third. Have also had Doxycycline X 30d. I feel better for about 2 weeks and then back to square one. The one thing I want to ensure everyone knows is that I WANT to get better! I love life! If a placebo does the trick, bring it to me! I don't care! BUt having been an ADHD child with Dyslexia, and homeschooling 5 of my ADHD children who also had dyslexia, I cannot deal with this LACK of energy ! I can deal with the PAIN! The pain sucks. But if I had the energy, screw the pain. Can you help me? Please...I have never done this and am reaching out...
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 4 hours later
You sure were high performing and energetic person and it is unfortunate that you got Lyme's disease. The multiple courses of antibiotics that you have taken are sufficient to eliminate any active organisms of Lyme disease. However before it was recognized and treatment was started it probably already had done a significant damage. It takes time for brain to take over function of damaged portion of brain and with time that should happen. The medications for depression which you are already on should also help in making you feel better over time.
There is no single miracle treatment which can put you back to the previous state and you have to go through this process of treatment. Trying to modify your lifestyle and your expectations to current level of functioning may be more satisfying in the long run.
Hope that answers your query. If there are more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.
Follow-up: Suffering from Lyme disease, depression. Not cured by medicine. Looking for effective treatment 2 days later
Are you aware of any other types of treatment that may help? I have heard that treatment of Lyme disease is taking on a new dimension. Prior to this, antibiotics were considered the course of treatment and that whatever was left was considered "residual." I am aware that now there are different attitudes on this. I am so willing to try anything new. I so wish to be the person I used to be. Are you aware of any studies, new treatments, anything, that I may participate in. As an RN I would be willing to do so to help find a treatment, even if it does not affect me, in order to leave some legacy. This is not the way I intended to live my life, but if my situation can serve to help others, I would be glad to participate.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 35 hours later
Sorry for the delay in answer.
I appreciate your willingness to participate and help in growth of science on Lyme disease. I am not aware of somebody doing a trial on the type of problems that you are having currently but there are resources available on the internet. You can visit this link and contact the investigators for any on going trial ( WWW.WWWW.WW .
Good luck.
Follow-up: Suffering from Lyme disease, depression. Not cured by medicine. Looking for effective treatment 8 hours later
Thank you for the link. I will most certainly check it out. Unfortunately, our interaction has not truly given much hope to me or others like me. If by chance you should come upon something new, would it be possible for you to notify me? I know you have many patients. There are many of us who fall between the cracks. I do not want this to be me. I want to hang on. But I have little energy left. Perhaps one of your colleagues, or even someone surfing here, may have answers. Thank you for the help you could give.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 13 hours later
Yes sure I would communicate any new useful research that I come across. I know you are gong through a lot but with a stronger will, you will be able to face this.
Good luck.