Suffering from L5-S1 disc desiccation pain. How to get relief?

Spine Surgeon

I am suffering from L5-S1 (from MRI) disc desiccation pain, My pain use to be sometime at back and transform from upper limb to lower limb. Its been more than 2 months that I'm suffering. Please suggest
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 17 minutes later
Disc prolapse can cause back pain and if it presses on the nerves then it usually cause leg pain. In your case disc dessication contributes to the back pain however its unlikely to go up in the arm. However sometimes similar changes happen in cervical spine as well.
Coming to treatment options, it depends upon the severity of pain and how much it is affecting your routine? Initially we always start pain medicine with physiotherapy and over a period we start regular back muscle stretching and exercise. Swimming also a good option. If all conservative measures failed then we may consider disc replacement surgery option.
I would suggest to consider dedicated physiotherapy as it should improve the back pain. Thanks.