Suffering from Koch's spine. Taking AKT. Having back pain. Help?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
hi, I am 28 yr old doctor suffering from Koch's spine at d7 level. I am on akt since last 10 weeks but having still backache. I need to know when do symptoms resolve especially backache after starting AKT. please help
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Usually there will be improvement in the symptoms of Koch's spine within 4 to 8 weeks.

Koch's spine requires treatment with AKT with four drugs for longer duration such as 9 months to 1 year.

Backache may take longer duration to get relief and it is difficult to tell the time frame for symptoms relief.

Fever if was present, usually respond to AKT within 2 to 3 weeks.

Whereas improvement in back pain depends on the area of involvement, weight bearing, posture, and presence of any compression on nerve roots.

It may vary from individual to individual.

What I advise you to consult your treating doctor for follow up to assess the improvement in your condition by doing investigations such as X-rays or MRI spine to know the presence of any compression on spinal cord.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from Koch's spine. Taking AKT. Having back pain. Help? 20 hours later
Thank you sir for your reply,
I have taken bed rest for 6 weeks and now with limited activity I still have backache. do I still need to take bed rest. my mri spine showed mild pre and paravertebral abscess without any cord compression.do I still need to wear brace and take bed rest? and

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Better to take bed rest till the backache subsides significantly.

Bed rest and bracing will decrease the pressure on vertebral column and aid in quick healing.

Continue bed rest and bracing as your doctor advised.

And the size of pre and paravertebral abscesses to be monitored with investigations to assess the progression and possibility of compression which in turn lead to persistent pain in the back and neurological deficits.

Hence I advise you to be in regular follow up with your doctor.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Regards.