Suffering from Iga, renal problems, lethargy, nausea, back and abdominal pain. on avapro for kidney protection. Treatment ?

Hi, I have Iga, been attending renal specialist for approx 5 years, I am Avapro to protect my kidneys. This week I have been ill, lethargic, nauseaus, pain in lower right back and abdomen, and now my abdomen is very swollen. Can't see my renal dr for 6 weeks GP gave me antibiotics, Should I be concerned
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I would be interested to know what the GP rendered as a diagnosis and indication for the antibiotic. It is possible he thought you may be having an infection in the bowels in which case an antibiotic should be able to help with symptoms. It may take a week or so for the symptoms to improve however.

If your abdomen feels more and more swollen and if you notice you are gaining weight, this would be more of a concern. I recommend you weigh yourself daily and if you notice more than 3 KG in weight change from baseline, this is something which should be brought to the attention of your doctor.

It may also be necessary to check lab tests including kidney and liver functions. Sometimes if the kidney function is compromised or if your blood protein levels are low it could cause swelling and bloating.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga