Suffering from IBS and discomfort in lower abdomen. Not cured by librax and vibact. Any remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I AM SUFFERING FORM IBS FORM LAST TEN YEAR,I HAVE LOOSE MOTION(SEMI-SOLID) EVERY MORNING TWO OR THREE TIMES.AFTER MOTION I FELL VERY UNCOMFORTABLE,WITH TWO MUCH FULLNESS WITH IRRITATION IN BOTH LOWER SIDE OF ABDOMEN, I AM TAKING 'LIBRAX AND VIBACT SINCE LAST TWO MONTH,BUT STILL I DOESN'T GET COMPLETE RELIEF .SOME CHANGE FOOD AND TIME OF DINNER SYMPTOMS GET WORSENED, IS THERE ANY REMEDIES SO I CAN LEAVE WITH MY LIFESTYLE.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 42 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with loose motion.
Do you have morning hours abdominalpain which get relieved after defecation?
Do you history of passing undigested food/ mucus/ blood in stools?
Do you have exceesive gas formation/ abdominal heaviness/ excessive gargling sounds in upper abdomen?
Do you have sticky and foul smeeling stools?
Do you have some sort of stress?
Have you undergone endoscopy with duodenal biopsy and thyroid profile yet before?
Have you undergone deworming completely?

With the available described symtoms and mentioned reports, there may be possibility of IBS predominant diarrheal type; still other causes must be ruled out for better clarification.
Loose motion,excessive flatulence and abdominal bloating may be due to small intestinal pathology and stools are characterized by oily,foul smelling and sticky.

You should consult with internalmedicine specialist/gastroenterologist and should go for thorough checkup.
You should go for complete hemogram, stool examination for parasites ova, serum calcium, thyroid profile, anti-TTg antibodies (for celiac sprue; a very common disease with allergy to wheat), endoscopy with duodenal biopsy.
Let me know the results of prescribed investigations.

If all these investiations are found to be normal and as you have normal colonoscopy then only diagnosis of IBS can be made.
IBS is a functional disorder of gastrointestinal tractin which gastrointestinal tract motility is altered by emotional stress and a patient may have constipation or diarrhea.
IBS is a chronic disorder with cumbersome treatment and may at times difficult to treat.

Apart from Librax and Vibact, there are multile medicines are available.
You should consult with your treating doctor and should take following medicines on written ptrescription: tricyclic antidepressants (in low dose it works on gastrointestinal tract), Rifaximin, Romonosetron (with name of IBSet,marketed by zydus), Lomotil and in spite of vibact,you should take Vibact DS.

You should avois milk and all milk products such as butter,ghee, cheese, "Mawa/Khoya".

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from IBS and discomfort in lower abdomen. Not cured by librax and vibact. Any remedy? 59 minutes later
Yes i have daily morning abdominal pain which is relive after passing gas or after going to toilet.I also done routine stool test it doesn't shows any infection and blood but there is always some mucus with stool.
I have done endoscopy with duodenal biopsy five years back,it aslo normal.I done Thyroid test it also normal but SEROLOGY(routine) is positive.but i doesnt have any other symptoms.
stool is some what sticky and foul smelling.
I avoid milk and Tea it relive my symptoms little bit.But i am underweight(48 kg, height 5,5 ft) protein powder and other supplement not increase my weight.also i very less appetite,
I am some what stress as i look very weak also my social life too much affected as i cant goes for outdoor parties.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 minutes later
As you have normal investigations, there appears to be high possibility of IBS.
You should continue Librax and Vibact and should also take above mentioned medicines on wriiten prescription from your treating doctor.
Best regards,
Dr.Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from IBS and discomfort in lower abdomen. Not cured by librax and vibact. Any remedy? 20 hours later
what i have to do gain weight ? and to improve appetite?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 59 minutes later
Weight and physique depends on heredity and varies with each & every individual.
You can take ayurvedic appetizer for increasing your diet.
Increased tummy should not be considered as healthy personalty as these persons are at high risk of heart disease and joint disease.
Slim body is more healthier as compared to protruding tummy.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava