Suffering from IBS, Rashes appeared after taking dependal-M. How to control flatulence and loose motions?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi Doctor,

I suffer from IBS. I contacted a doctor on Healthcare magic and he prescribed Rifaximine 3x400 mg for 7 days along with this antibiotic Mebeverine 200mg once a day.

After the course I feel better but still there is gas. I am moving to Norway and I want to carry medicines for emergency cases. Last time I had dependal-M which caused me skin rashes. I generally avoid medicines but when I suffer from severe Loose motions, I do take medicines. Please suggest me what is safe in case of Loose motions. Also suggest me some medicines if I suffer from flatulence.
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Loose stools can occur due to a number of different reasons including IBS. So it is difficult to prescribe medications without knowing the cause.

Since you have been having IBS, you may take probiotic supplements when you have loose stools.

For flatulence, you can take digestive enzyme supplements and simethicone.

Consult your doctor before taking any medicine.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions. kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Suffering from IBS, Rashes appeared after taking dependal-M. How to control flatulence and loose motions? 17 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for the response.
Please provide names of the supplemnets that I may keep with me for emergency usage.

Shall I do this course again if I suffer from severe loose motions and gas -Rifaximine 3x400 mg for 7 days along with this antibiotic Mebeverine 200mg once a day ?

Please guide. Also, if you can suggest food items that can be helpful in relieving flatulence or diarrohea will be really helpful.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 29 hours later
You need not take rifaxamin again.
You can take mebeverine and probiotics like VSl#3.
You can also take Xymex MPS which contains digestive enzymes and simethicone for your flatulence problem.
Try to avoid dairy products and fatty food.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini