Suffering from IBS. How to get rid of fart and pain near belly button?

Hi It is a bit embarrassing. I have IBS but rarely have problems but in the last week every time after I have a wee I get pains near my belly button and then I find I need to do a large fart and then need to go to the toilet to clear my bowel which is quite loose. Sorry I don't know any other way of saying it. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for trusting health care magic,
It would be worth considering if you have changed your diet within this period. Changes in anxiety or stress levels are important determinants of symptoms of bowel movement patterns, if you have introduced a new drug in your drug panel lately, the drug could be worth reviewing too.
However, exercise and stress relieving activities have direct positive effects in increase intestinal contractions and relieve from IBS. I would suggest you can have a walk and more regularly, discuss with loved ones, play games, watch or listen to your favorite music or TV programmes.
IBS is a very individualized disease and it could be critical for you to realize any triggers of this disease and do the best you can to avoid them. A small food diary for sometime could be of help.
Eating smaller foods more frequently usually relieves patients form symptoms. Slowly increasing your fibre diet through fibre XXXXXXX foods, generally vegetables could be of much help.Making a habit to drink abundant quantities of water might help.
If symptoms do persist after excluding all recent changes in habits and these lifestyle measures, visiting a gastroenterologist for a more detailed review, to add specific drugs, or exclude other conditions that could present with similar symptoms would be worthwhile.
I suggest you consider my propositions, and if symptoms persist or get worse, you consult a gastroenterologist.
Hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Suffering from IBS. How to get rid of fart and pain near belly button? 18 hours later
This isn't a question actually but we have had a stressul time in the last 3 weeks as my son in law was diagnosed with bowel cancer and I do wonder if that is the problem after reading your diagnosis. He has now had an operation and home with medication so hopefully may be this problem of mine may disappear. I have taken account of what you have said and will do what you suggest and thank you very much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
thanks for your comments as I wish you the best of health,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.