Suffering from IBS. Had colon infection. Temporary relief from medication. Need diet advice and permanent cure?

Hello Doctors,
I had been having IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome) from past 6 months. Earlier doctor had told me that i have a colon infection.Taking medicine temporarily gives relief but IBS never seems to completely get cured. Also Please suggest what to eat and what not to.
Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 18 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Irritable bowel syndrome is a diagnosis of exclusion which means that all other diseases have to be excluded in order to come to a conclusion of IBS. The common diseases that have to be excluded are
1. Lactose intolerance
2. Bacterial overgrowth of small intestine
3. Coeliac disease
4. Inflammatory bowel disease

There is no conclusive treatment for IBS and it is mainly aimed at treating the symptoms. However there are some clinical trials which have concurred that long term 'Rifaximin' therapy to be useful. Please ask your doctor for a prescription before taking it
Commonly used tablets for symptomatic relief are
1. Anti spasmodics for pain most commonly opiates
2. Laxatives for constipation like lactulose
3. Anti motility drugs like loperamide for diarrhea
4. Anxiolytics

Your diet plan as per study done by NEJM (new england journal of medicine 2009) should include the following

1. Avoid milk and milk products like cheese, butter,etc
2. Avoid spicy food items
3. Avoid aerated food like soda pop
4. Have a high fibre diet. Vegetables and fruits which have peels like XXXXXXX carrots should be included in your diet
5. Exercise daily for minimum of 30 min a day for 5 times a week
6. Meditation and yoga will certainly help to relieve stress related IBS

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health