Suffering from Hietal hernia and high BP. Having tightness in stomach, on liquid diet. Suggest suitable diet?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi Doctors,
My father is suffering from Hietal hernia from over a month now. The Hernia is located just above the stomach crossing over the diaphragm. He is now relieved of the pain of hernia without any operation, as the doctors suggested it to be a minor one! but now he is facing problems with eating regular food. he complains about harding or tightening of stomach. so he is on a very light and mostly liquid diet. And due to this he feels very week to even sit on his own! he also have problem of High BP. Can you suggest a suitable diet for my father so that hernia and BP both remains un affected and they get cured in time. Please help me on this. I am really sad seeing my father ill this long!
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 48 minutes later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare magic.

Thank you for your query.

These are definitely symptoms of hiatus hernia, but I wouldnt say it is minor. Hiatus hernias are minor only if it is asymptomatic.

In hiatus hernia there is stomach position disorder combined with acid reflux.

This disorder can cause many difficulties and symptoms experienced are pain and tightness in upper stomach, bloating, breathing difficulties, heartburn, feeling of lump and sore in throat, gurgling sound in throat, fatigue and loss of appetite.

Unfortunately, only acid reflux can be treated by antiacid medicines and dietary changes, but it wont cure hiatus hernia and abnormal stomach position . Of course, it can relief symptoms and in most cases people are satisfied with conservative therapy, but if his difficulties are getting worse you should consider surgical treatment.

There is no general indication for surgery and it is advisable to perform it when symptoms are progressing and resistant to other therapy. It can be done laparoscopically in most medical centers and this is relatively simple procedure. He is young and surgery is definitely an option.

I can write you some advices which might be helpful so try with that:

He should eat more frequently(6-7 times er day) but smaller meals.
These symptoms are aggravated after certain meal, long sitting, leaning forward, stress and anxiety. He should completely avoid alcohol, coffee, smoking, fats and fast food, carbonated drinks, milk and gas producing food. All these food irritates stomach mucosa and cause bloating and then stomach is distended and press lungs and diaphragm. This leads to weakness and breathing problems.

His diet should include fruit and vegetables, boiled food and natural beverages and teas(mentha, licorice, marshmallow). 1.5 hour after meal he should not sit or lay. Also he should lay with elevated upper body. If he is overweight he should do exercise and lose weight. Some people mention benefit if drink few glasses of warm water in the morning before any meal or one spoon of olive oil; this relax stomach muscles and then it can slip down under the diaphragm.

Secondly, there are antacid medicines which are usually helpful,you should consult your GP about this and find the right one. He should also do gastroscopy and stomach biopsy to verify is there helicobacter pylori infection which can be treated then.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Suffering from Hietal hernia and high BP. Having tightness in stomach, on liquid diet. Suggest suitable diet? 23 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX You really provided me a very helpful suggestion. I hope and wish that these measures work for my dad! One last thing that I would like to know is that, if we go for laparoscopic operation, then by when would he be absolutely fine and be able to live a normal life? What all tests would you prefer that we should go for before going for an operation!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 58 minutes later
Hi again,

I am sure some of these will be helpful for him. Well, I suggest first to do gastroscopy, stomach biopsy and barium swallow test just to be sure that there is hiatus hernia which cause this symptoms. Othere tests are the same as for other surgeries: basic blood tests, anastheologist examination, ECG, chest Xray and coagulation factors.

Hiatus hernia is repaired by procedure called Nissen fundoplasty and is done laparoscopically through 3 or 4 "holes" today. In this operation stomach is pulled down and fixed to diaphragm. recovery is quick and last for 4-7 days in hospital bed. Patients usually feel immediate relief of most symptoms, but heartburn and acid reflux may persist for few more weeks.

Also, despite this isn't some complex surgery, I suggest not to hurry with it. Try with dietary changes and drug therapy first and if your father has active life and these difficulties affect his quality of life then surgery can be considered.

I hope he will recover soon, wish you good luck and health.If you have more questions I am here.