Suffering from GERD and taking Prilosec. Have stomach upset, vomiting and no improvement. What can I do to minimise GERD symptoms?

Sep 2013

Hi. I have GERD and am on Prilosec for it. I used poor judgement when I went to a chili cook off and ate more than I should have, maybe a cup or a little more. My stomach is definitely upset and I have taken 3 Tums (750mg each) with no improvement. I also have Ranitidine which I used to take. I'm wondering if there is something else I can do to minimize my GERD symptoms, but not sure if I can take Ranitidine on top of what I already took. I even thought about inducing vomiting. Would appreciate your input.
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
esophageal-reflux-disease/0000" >GERD treatment & measures for relief.

Detailed Answer:

If I were treating doctor for this case of G E R D(gastro esophageal reflux disorder or disease ) I would come up with these measures , these includes.

1 Try raising the head of your bed about 4 inches with the blocks.It might also help to avoid eating or drinking 2 hours before you lie down.To help control the stomach acid one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them them or eat chocolates or spicy or greasy foods.
As you mentioned that you are taking prilosec , it is effective and you want to ranitidine , no doubt both drugs are good , you can use them as your wish.

Also take some antacid with oxetacain in them will suit you most.
2 Tension is the most important reason of GERD , so try to avoid it . Consult a psychiatrist for this type of anxiety ( tension or stress)

3 Nausea is often present in G E R D ( as present in your case), sometimes vomiting also provide relief .Take frequent morsel but in very small quantity .

In my opinion avoidance of spicy food and tension will help you .
Hope I have answered your question. If further any question I will help.
Good luck.