Suffering from GERD. Not cured by pariet. Will it be safe to take nexium?

I suffer from GERD every now and then and have bee taking pariet for about 3 years, it does not seem to fix the problem. Would Nexium be a better alternative? I tried it some time ago and had bouts of arythmia
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Pariet and Nexium belong to the same group of medications. But sometimes if there is no adequate response to one medication, you may feel better with the other one.

But since you are 78 years old, I would advice you NOT to take it on a longer term as it can weaken your bones.

In addition to medications certain lifestyle modifications are also important for complete relief. Weight reduction if obese, avoiding coffee, alcohol, smoking, citrus, chocolates, tomatoes, fatty food should be done. Eat small and frequent meals and go to bed 2-3 hours after food.

If the response is still not good after all these, a reevaluation with a 24 hours pH monitoring test should be done.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini